Our law office can assist with the Veteran’s benefits application process in Florida. If you own too many assets, meeting the service requirements and medical eligibility may not be enough to qualify for Veteran benefits. Having an experienced Florida Veterans Law attorney on your side can help you navigate your Veteran’s benefits qualifications by shifting your assets into a trust.
Understanding Eligibility Requirements for Veterans Benefits
Veterans health care benefits are available if you have served in the active military, naval or air force services and did not receive a dishonorable discharge. The eligibility VA Benefits requirements include:
- Veterans engaged in war-time services are also eligible, and they are generally more expansive than most people would associate with the beginning and conclusion of the war.
These dates are as follows:
World War II: 12/7/1941-12/31/1946
Korean War: 6/27/1950-1/31/1955
Vietnam War: 2/28/1961-5/7/75, if served in the country of Vietnam, otherwise 8/5/1964 – 5/7/1975
Persian Gulf: 8/2/90- Date to be announced
- Suppose you enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981. In that case, you must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which you were called to active duty unless any of the described situations below are accurate.
The minimum duty requirement may not apply if any of these are accurate. You:
- Were discharged for a disability that was caused—or made worse—by your active-duty service, or
- Were discharged for a hardship or “early out,” or
- Served before September 7, 1980
- If you’re a current or former member of the Reserve or National Guard, you must have been called to active duty by a federal order and completed the full period for which you were on active duty.
The Life Law Planning Group is here to help you and your loved ones understand Crisis Medicaid Planning, Proactive Medicaid and Elder Law Planning, Estate Planning, Veterans Planning and Special Needs Planning. Our Florida law firm welcomes the opportunity to consult with new clients in Broward County, Palm Beach County and surrounding South Florida areas to learn more about how we can help meet your veterans planning needs.
Let us help secure your family’s future.